We’re getting you on that #SmoothieBowl train with three easy recipes you can whip up in a jiffy!
If you’re a health junkie or a self-professed foodie, you’ve probably heard of this breakfast craze that’s taking Instagram by storm. Scroll through your feed or hit up hashtags like #BreakfastBowl to instantly see grid after grid of colorful and somewhat delicate concoctions. These works of art are called Smoothie Bowls; and folks who keep watch of their waistline or those who simply appreciate the beautiful things that life has to offer are getting on it, and so should you!
Making these healthy bowls may seem intimidating, but you can check out our Smoothie Bowl hacks below, along with three recipes that can brighten up your mornings in a blitz!
Hacks and whatnots
Keep in mind that this treat is all about the base. Put together a foundation of base ingredients that you can easily customize with other add-ons before you start topping it like crazy. Let’s say you want a non-dairy vegan Smoothie Bowl – whip up a batch with frozen bananas and creamed fresh coconut milk. But if you’re not that particular with animal-based products, then try out a recipe with rolled oats, yogurt, and frozen bananas – this is sure to keep you full all morning.
• Bananas are best used to make your bowl creamier. Pop them into the blender (frozen would be best) and add in all your preferred ingredients, and voila, an extra thick and creamy smoothie.
• Yogurt, milk, or non-dairy alternatives like coconut water, almond milk, and soymilk can be used to thin out your mixture – and it doesn’t hurt that they all add flavor!
• Natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup are best used to treat that sweet tooth.
• Keep real fruit and vegetable juices, whole frozen fruits, or fresh ones – if you can – at a ready. Drop them into the blender with your thick base to add a little flavor, plus a whole lot of nutritional value!
• Have fun and top your smoothie bowl with all the fruits you have in the base, or add a little crunch with some nuts or oats. Maybe you can add some extra nutrition with flax seeds, chia seeds, or cacao nibs. Let your imagination and clean cravings be your guide!
Your Local: Mango Papaya and Moringa Smoothie Bowl
Let’s keep things accessible and use ingredients that are readily available. We highly encourage that you buy the freshest mangoes and bananas from the supermarket, and get as well a little Moringa (or Malunggay) for that superfood boost!
1 cup Frozen Bananas
1/2 cup Fresh Mangoes – preferably from Guimaras!
1/3 cup Fresh Papaya
2 tbsp. Fresh Moringa or Malunggay
1/2 cup Coconut water
1 tsp Calamansi Juice
1 tbsp. Pili or Cashew nuts to top
Honey to taste
• When preparing your ingredients, set aside some of the fruits for your toppings.
• Once all is cut and prepped, drop bananas, mangoes, papaya, moringa, coconut water, calamansi juice, and honey into the blender.
• Blitz to perfection, and serve in a cute wooden bowl.
• Once done with the easy part, top your splendid Mango Papaya and Moringa Smoothie Bowl with a few sliced fruits, some honey, and crushed nuts for that added texture.
• Sit back, relax, and hear the waves under the sun while you enjoy this blissful treat.
Keep it Easy: Thick and Chewy Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
This recipe is meant to be accessible, as everything is all available at your nearest supermarket and can be stored for days. Let’s be real, you can’t really get fresh fruits on the daily. Sometimes, the frozen version is better off – freshly picked before being individually frozen means that its nutrients are sealed and preserved.
1 cup Frozen Bananas
3/4 cup SM Bonus Frozen Baguio Strawberries
1/2 cup Yogurt Milk
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
Honey to taste
• Start by prepping your ingredients. This is easy because they’re all pre-packed, frozen and ready to go.
• Drop all the measured ingredients: frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, yogurt milk, rolled oats, and some honey into the blender. Hit that pulse button and watch the magic happen.
• Pour that luscious blend into a pretty bowl, and top it off with some desiccated coconut, cacao nibs, and an extra drizzle of honey!
Strongest Bowl: Avocado Peanut Butter Protein Bowl
Start your mornings strong with a protein-packed breakfast, minus the grease and carbs. Avocados, peanut butter, nuts, and soymilk are known to pack a lot of protein and healthy fats. Whip up this smoothie bowl to fuel that grueling morning workout!
1 ½ cup Fresh Avocado
2 tbsp Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Soymilk
3 tbsp Rolled Oats
Lime Juice to taste
Honey to taste
Chopped Cashew Nuts
• Let’s get this bowl going with a little prep: slice up all your avocado (leave some for the toppings), and measure out all the other ingredients.
• Dunk all that protein goodness into the blender: avocado, peanut butter, soymilk, rolled oats, lime juice, and some honey.
• Warm up the blender with a little pulse, and blitz it all together.
• Once that smoothie is thick and creamy, pour it into a bowl.
• Top with chopped nuts, cacao nibs, and a drizzle of honey.
• Once all done, you’re ready for that pre-workout protein fix!