Here are the only mattes that matter—you’re welcome
Matte lipsticks saw a revival when #KingKylie Jenner launched her multi-million dollar cosmetic company back in 2016. And at the core of it are her Kylie Lip Kits—a duo of liquid lipstick and lip liner that’s velvety, long-lasting, and available in the cutest and sultriest shades possible.
While mattes have been in existence even before the Kardashian-Jenner sister’s foray into the beauty industry, you can’t deny her huge influence in successfully refreshing public interest in the coveted finish. It also sparked interest in liquid lipsticks.
Sadly, they cost a ton (boohoo). But don’t pout just yet, we’ve rounded up the top 5 brands of matte lipsticks in the country just for you (and they’re within your budget, girl!)—because we all know that you can’t have one too many.
1. MAC Cosmetics is known for their lipsticks (it’s what made them globally famous, fyi). Their matte lipsticks are divine. The formula’s creamy and rich and the payoff is intense. Plus points that their bullets come with a vanilla scent and they have a total of 62 matte lipsticks. If you’re in the mood for a liquid version, MAC now has 31 Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolours as well. Available in SM Megamall, SM Makati, SM Aura Premier, and SM City North Edsa.
2. Happy Skin’s Shut Up & Kiss Me matte lippies have been all the rage when they were launched in 2015. Now available in several shades, the lippies are moisturizing and hydrating while providing an ultra-matte finish and high color payoff that’s also long-wearing. Available in SM City Clark, SM City Pampanga, SM Megamall, Fashion Hall, SM Mall of Asia, SM City Cebu, and SM City North Edsa.
3. If you want twice the intensity of a matte lipstick, Maybelline’s Powder Matte Lipsticks by Color Sensational’s just perfect. Finish is still silky despite the rich pigmentation, and each tube comes with saturated powder and honey nectar. Available in 15 dreamy colors. Available in all Watson’s branches.
4. Fans of the brand were so happy when NYX finally opened shop in the Philippines because their super affordable Soft Matte Lip Creams have become a go-to lipstick for those on a budget. Right now, we’re loving every tube from their Lip Lingerie collection, which features 12 plush nude shades from cinnamon pink and chocolate brown to warm mahogany red to classic beige. Available in SM Megamall and SM City North Edsa.
5. Although a drugstore brand, Sleek MakeUP’s one of the fastest growing beauty brands in the market today. Why? They understand the concept of all-inclusiveness, as they have a variety of makeup choices for all skin types. Their Matte Me liquid 17-piece lipstick collection is becoming a cult-favorite among millennials. Its claim to fame? It glides on in one smooth application with no need for a second coat. Available in The SM Store.